We came across Trencherman in the little book in the hotel room. We made reservations, jumped in a cab and headed out for an early dinner.
Since it was empty (we were there right after Thanksgiving) we ended up eating at the bar. The food was great, the drinks were very good and the conversation with the bartenders (as they cleaned the bar up) was enjoyable.
It’s about a 15 minute cab ride from downtown Chicago but it’s worth the trip. We had:
- Chili Hummus, Pickled Vegetables, Spiced Tortilla Chips
- Winter Dram II:: Bourbon, Pimm’s, Cynar, Smoked Agave, Hella Bitters
- White Negroni:: Gin, Dolin Blanc, Suze
- Illinois Sparkling Co. ‘Stereo’ :: Peru, Illinois (La Crescent) (Very good & local)
- Spismith gin (awesome)
- Beets,Burrata, Pistachio, Black Olives, Nasturtium
- Fried Chicken, ‘Popcorn’ Grits, Togarashi, Carrots, Soy Jus, Hot Sauce
- Aged Duck Breast,Duck Mole, Fried Tamal, Hakuri Turnips, Sweet Potato
- Trenchermen S’mores,Dark Chocolate, Popcorn Ice Cream, House Graham, Smoked Mallow
Everything was well made, very well sized and well presented. The room is beautiful and not too loud. We’ll be going back for sure.