I wanted to give this a try and ended up going with Alton Brown’s recipe. His recipe uses instant espresso, not instant coffee but is otherwise the same as all the others out there.
(I cut everything in half and it made plenty for two)
- 12 grams of instant espresso
- 60 grams of water
- 40 grams of sugar
- Dissolve the sugar in the water in a mixing bowl
- Add in a few drops of vanilla extract (I should have added a little more vanilla the first time around)
- Beat on high speed with your mixer until foamy (Alton used a hand mixer, I used our countertop Kitchen Aid)
- Beat on high speed with your mixer until foamy
- Serve over milk
I thought this would be sweet but it’s wasn’t. I could see this being good on top of ice cream or pie as well.