- 2 small firm red onions
- Â½ teaspoon sugar
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Â¾ cup rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
Additional Flavorings (optional):
- 1 small clove of garlic, halved
- 5 black peppercorns
- 5 pink peppercorns
- 5 coriander seeds
- Â½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- Put 2 or 3 cups of water on to boil in a kettle. Peel and thinly slice the onions into approximately Â¼” moons. Peel and cut the garlic clove in half, length-wise.
- In the jar you will be using to store the onions, add the sugar, salt, vinegar and flavorings. Stir to dissolve.
- Place the onions in a heat-proof glass bowl and pour boiling water to cover. Let sit for 30 seconds, then carefully strain the onions.
- Add the softened onions to the jar and stir to evenly distribute the flavorings.
- The onions will be ready in about 30 minutes, but are best after a few hours. Store in the refrigerator. They will keep for several weeks but are best in the first week.