- 1 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Â¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- Â½ cup all-purpse flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground espresso
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Â½ tsp ground ginger
- Â¼ tsp ground cardamom
- Â¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Combine the milk and vinegar in a liquid measuring cup. Stir lightly and set aside to curdle for at least 5 minutes.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground coffee, cinnamon, ground ginger, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves. Add the curdled milk, maple syrup, melted butter and vanilla extract. Stir gently to combine, taking care not to over mix.
3) Heat a large cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brush the pan with melted butter. Drop 1/3 cup measures of the pancake batter into the pan. Allow the first side to cook for 1 to 1-Â½Â minutes, or until bubbles pop on the surface and the edges appear dry and lightly browned. Flip the pancakes over and cook for another minute. Remove pancakes and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.